Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Voters and their Voting Votes

"There is no such thing as a pledged delegate," Clinton has said many times.

She has also said, "The popular vote in Florida and Michigan has already been counted. It was determined by election results, it was certified by election officials in each state, it's been officially tallied by the secretary of state in each state, and the question is whether those 2.3 million Democrats will be honored and their delegates seated by the Democratic party."

I like Hillary Clinton for all the wrong reasons: she's a strong, intelligent woman, a "fighter" for great things like universal health care. But I don't think she would make a good president. And in many ways, it's because those qualities I just listed. She fights. She imagines every day in the white house as a fight. And this is precisely why Republicans and some Dems in Congress will not work with her or for her, because she will see her work as fighting against them.

And it's this very quality that has caused her to say the above, very contradictory statements. On the one hand, just because the voters voted doesn't mean the delegates are pledged to those voters' votes. On the other, damnit, those voters voted, and they should be counted exactly as those voters voted their votes.

She will fight both sides all the way, and I think this is a very good indicator of how she would be as president. She will make a great Senator during Obama's administration, or even an excellent Secretary of State, cause she's good at fighting. But we don't need a fighter in the white house. We've been fighting everyone for too long. Let's start some healing now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't agree more with your political insights! I thought I was the only one who cringed whenever I heard the whole "I'm a fighter" theme from Hillary. Almost as bad as the "Axis of Evil" from Bush! Can we get past the divisive language for the love of God!!!!! Anyway, I guess we all know who I'm voting for! Loved reading your blog. So when did you go to India?
Connie